Wednesday, 22 May 2013
Those B.B (Before Baby) skinny jeans will zip back up one day in the near future and this post-preggie state of jelly will eventually firm back up. Slow and steady certainly wins the race but until then I’m trying to find my best asset to flaunt. You know – the one you play up to detract the focus from your less favourable areas. We all have one, whether we have figured it out yet or not.
Enter the guns.
Lucky for me the old bingo wings remained relatively firm despite the pregnancy, which is handy (boom, boom) as arms are one area that respond remarkably well to the smallest bit of dedicated focus. More reason why I’m going to up the arm ante and get these biceps really into shape.
Flap your bingo wings on over to Primped to read my plan of arm attack
Friday, 3 May 2013
Sunday, 28 April 2013
A few shots of her feet and my mani got left on the editing room floor as some poop was spotted on the sole of her foot in the shots. .
How did that get passed on my nappy changing watch. I'll blame her Dad.
As always I love Sally Hansen Complete Manicure Polishes. Oh how they glide on, are glossy as and the brush, the brush!!
Sorry - I couldn't resist....... here's the poopy blooper!!!
Candy pink nails - just for girls or grown ups can too?
Tuesday, 16 April 2013
There are some nights after watching one too many Mad Men episodes, having one too many glasses of Pinot Noir and perhaps one too many squares of dark chocolate, the old cleansing ritual can be a somewhat wham, bam, thankyou ma’am kind of affair. A quickie make-up removal is as good as it gets (so I can hit the hay with one less thing weighing heavy on my conscience and my pores.) Wish I could say the same about that half bar of Green & Blacks…
Thursday, 11 April 2013
Like all greats they giveth then they taketh away.
Got me hooked on its superluxe but sun safe goodness then pooooooof its gone.
I cursed them for about 2 months then nursed my remaining tube for a whole 12 months, a carefully administered peasized blob application by peasized blob application.
Oh what joy when they brought it back and the sequel is better than the prequel a rarity except for perhaps Terminator 2 and Oasis albums.
- Feels like a proper moisturiser with SPF added , not the other way around
- Natural ingredients list - no chem crap here
- Dig the ingredients list including hydrating Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, and good ol' regenerating Rosehip Seed Oil & Fruit Extract, Cucumber Seed Extract, and Green Tea Leaf Extract which is a great scavenger of the sun ray ageing nasties
- Probs the deal clincher is the physical SPF30 mineral sunscreen as opposed to a chemical one
- Its the triple threat that is virtually impossible to find (I've looked & looked) 1.All natural ingredients 2. A physical mineral sunscreen 3. A nourishing but non-greasy moisturiser base
- Scent: Old was fresh, light & clean. New is sweeter, more gourmand, more cocoa buttery presumably from the shea butter base. (I preferred the old scent but since find the new scent really comforting)
- Texture: Old was more mousse like, lighter. New is creamier and richer (This concerned me initially but it absorbs beautifully to the same matte finish, a perfect make-up base)
- SPF: Old used an encapsulated Octyl Methoxycinnamate (chemical) + Titanium Dioxide (physical). New is straight up Zinc Oxide so only a physical mineral sunscreen - WIN!
Monday, 1 April 2013
Wednesday, 27 March 2013
Don't get me wrong, I love to jazzy up the peepers when heading out somewhere spesh but am the first to admit I am a tad vanilla with the old eye maquillage for the everyday.
That being said, there is nothing worse than an under-dressed eye and I do have a minimal threshold I need to meet to look humane. Multiply that by 1000 at the moment with all this new Mama sleep I'm not getting.
The criteria, easy to apply, perhaps while even rocking a pram trying to settle a newborn with one hand, long-lasting, uplifting.....and out that door in five minutes eyes
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer - Such a great under-eye concealer, so much so you won't catch me ever forking out for Touche Eclat or the likes again. Does the job, great over lids as a primer/brightener. I like the sponge tip as you can just dab, pat, go. Blends well even with powder mineral foundation. I do the under eye V application trick, whack a bit in the corner of me eye and 'Oh Hai', I'm almost not corpse like.
- Stila Eyeshadow in Kitten - aka powdered 8 hrs sleep. The perfect blend of peach meets gold, illuminating but not glittery, silky and dense in colour but also sheer. The perfect base or stand alone to make your liner and mascara pop. A quick wash with a soft domed brush lid to brow bone and your eyes are dressed. Purrrrrrrrr.
- MAC Eyeshadow in Malt - the I need definition but I cant be arsed to blend colour. I think it is age but I need to create a shadow in my crease to detract from a little shall we say 'sag' on my lid. This is a matte neutral pink meets brown meets taupe meets beige shadow that sweeps on with ease in the socket to create some depth and give some extra dimension to your eye makeup and further enhance Kitten's wide-eye effect. A three year old could contour with Malt using only their fingers and it would still work.
- Thin Eyeliners - Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio or Face of Australia Eyeliner Mechanical Pencils - held vertically and squidged into the lashline these thin liners are virtually foolproof to mess up and add definition that does not look out of place or won't be can't stop staring at it wonk in harsh daylight, even in the purple or navy hues.
- MAC Opulash - while I'm still window shopping the tubular mascara market, this is definitely my forerunner. The fat brush gives lift and volume and the colour is dense but the brush defines the lashes so it never looks too caked or clumped. The best bit no flakes, smudges, tears or shadows and it melts off with ease with warm water, in fact it's the easiest of all the tubular formulas to remove, it almost just evaporates. Woosh....
- Real Techniques Shading Brush - Versatility, versatility, versatility. Wash, contour or even define under the lashes with one brush. I do. Its a keeper.
Are you a vanilla weekday eye make-up wearer?
Any quickie prodz you love?
Thursday, 14 March 2013
- Echolife Magnesium Gel with Aloe Vera - I bought this (with the magnesium salts and oil) for maternity hospital, I dint get to use the other two (plan to have a fab bath once my stitches have healed, yes stitches, oweeeee) but whipped out the gel when in the throngs of labour with serious cramps in my thighs and legs. Rubbed this stuff on and there was instant relief. No heat or anything just pain relief, it was so welcome, Now I won't be in labour again anytime soon BUT will keep this on standby when I am ready to hit the gym/yoga mat/Bikram studio again and no doubt I will have serious 'fatty is back in action' post-workout muscle pains (just awaiting the docs go ahead on Mar 28!!)
- The Jojoba Company 100% Natural Makeup Remover* - This came in a starter set and while I haven't cracked on with the starter set as yet (still in the throes of passion with my Kosmea skincare regime) my Audra James Cleansing Oil had come to an end so I whipped this out of the set because as it's predecessor asmI'm like way down with oil cleansing still yo. This is citrus punchy badazing badazing, love that. Plus it not only removes one's daily grime with its not so oily jojoba oiliness it has heaps of fruit enzymes in the form of AHAs to exfoliate while you are at it. Clever. Kiwi, passionfruit, blood orange, musk melon, cranberry and pink grapefruit - reads like quite the fancy fruit salad, The kinda salad you want to make friends with. I've made great nightly friends with this oil.
- Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio - the blue one. I do love a skinny liner pencil, I do and one that requires no-sharpener plus lasts the live long day - oh yeah. However it's the dark blue one that is a bit spesh right now. Have you noticed cobalt is like everywhere? (See no 5 below.) I love that this almost navy liner adds some of that blue de jour to my eyeline without being garish even in daylight. The slimline nib makes it foolproof. Terry Babor, MAC head of UK artistry reckons blue is so hot right now. I'm.On.It.
- Linseed & Lavender Eye Mask - I bought this on eBay (motherbear2003) when I flew home to Ireland in July and managed to leave it in hospital. My hubby got quite attached to it so I reordered my Parisian version and got him a more male-friendly one for like $16 a pop. They are so soft on the inside and the linseed puts a light pressure on your eyes and they totally black out light. The lavender scent is pungent and helps the Zzzzzs. Mama disco powernaps are popular in my house at the moment, sleep when and where I can is the survival motto these days!
- Pantone Fashion Color Report Fall 2013 - Imma still all about Rockin Pantone's Colour of the Year, Emerald Green in 2013 but have just found the Fall 2013 trend report. Hallo, I love you. What an amazing palette. I vow to sport a polish in every one of these colors over autumn/winter. Total colourlicious love.
- Coconut & Banana Skinny Bitch Pancakes - Phew, the preggy sweet tooth cravings have finished. Amazingly the minute I gave birth I no longer craved sugary food. (Buh Buh evil Malteaster bunnies) Back to my healthy eating ways on my mission to get back to pre-baby bod, give or take the odd slice of cake of a Sunday by way of a cheat treat... These pancakes are so skinny its ridic but so yummy as a snack when you are hankering a little somethin, somethin midweek. Super easy, whizz a banana and 2 eggs together, fry in a little coconut oil, flipping when bubbles hit surface. Serve with fresh berries, flaked almonds and a drizzle of agave syrup if you are feeling fancy and want to emulate maple syrup. SKINNY BITCH! (thanks to wellnesswa.com.au my fav healthy living blog for the thinspiration!)
- Aveda Green Science Facial & Perfecting Plant Peel - so you know I'm more than a little fussy when it comes to facials and often leave a salon feeling a little underwhelmed. Hubs gave me a push-pressie in the hospital, a voucher to go to the local spa, The Savoy for an arvo of steaming and saunaing and a hot stone massage and facial while I'm at it. I chose this Aveda facial as I wanted something quite active, the peel part is clinically proven to perform like a 30% glycolic peel, without the associated redness and irritation. It really only felt warm on my face and there was no peeling, redness or downtime. The therapist was great, talked through each product and did an amazing facial massage. The post-facial glow lasted and lasted and I actually left the salon elated not dismayed.Win. If you ever get a chance to have an Aveda facial, this gets my thumbs up.
- Lanolips 101 Ointment - now I do love my Lanolips Lemonaid for my lips but as a breastfeeder still on my L plates let me tell you my twins were in some state. Scabs. Raw. Inflamed. Burning. Nobody tells you this about breastfeeding..... I was flying through the Lanisinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream but it is overpriced for a very small tube so I swapped to this as its about twice as good value. Plus I've been lashing it on my lips and cuticles and elbows and other gnarly places. Awesome stuff. Cult product for a reason lambs.
- GAIA Natural Baby Powder - shopping the baby's stash again. prepare for a whole host of posts on this. Now if you are a lady that likes to powder, like in summer, in shoes or pre-pleather pants (joking, kinda) this is an amazingly cheap, fabulous smelling talc-free powder. Talc is a shocker (aka hydrous magnesium silicate,a toxic ingredient similar to asbestos) and I can't understand why companies still use it. eg Lush just launched their new make-up range and I was appalled to be sent the face powder, first ingredient, talc. FAIL Lush. Failburger. This beauty is pure cornstarch powder with organic lavender and chamomile essential oils to soothe and calm skin. It smells so delish! I'll be using this long after my little one is out of nap naps!
- Chantecaille Freesia Shadow - A lilac silver eyeshadow. I know, forgive me I haven't come over all tweenie or 80s Prom Queen on you, bear with me. I've spent a lot of time staring at my baby's face in awe. Her skin is so luminous and amazing. Particularly the skin around the eyes, it glistens and glows and is megawatt, almost iridescent and has this silvery lilac hue around her eyes. I've since had anA-HA moment when watching a Lisa Eldridge vid where she illuminates the eyes with a similar shade Chanel liner. My theory was further confirmed while watching a recent Pixiwoo vid where she used you guessed it the same shade shadow. OK the model is sickingly ethereal amazing and Sam tones it down with a taupey bronze shadow wash in the socket but watch the vid to be convinced on my theory. Plus drool a little over the models skin and finished product glow. If only...
- BareMinerals READY Foundation SPF20 - my fav mineral foundation is about to be launched in Australia in compact form. Can't wait to try. Extra hydration promised.......
- Bronde - Not brown not blonde, bronde. I'm a bit over my balayage, I think my base colour is too dark, plus my lightened ends have gone crunchy This piccie I pinned is being brougnally ht to the HD on Saturday with my bob inspiration photo and I'm going down the bronde bob route. Standby.
Saturday, 9 March 2013
We welcomed Ruby Nola Wakely into the world on Wed 13th Feb after quite a tough and long induced labour which has now faded into a hazy memory.
Baby Ruby is doing fantastic, shes a funny little thing with a big mop of fluffy hair and a mischievous glint in her eye. I can already tell she has a strong will, like her Mama.
She makes the funniest little stubborn faces when waking up and has the most perfect rosebud lips.
Of course she is the spit of her Dad - I struggle to get a look in, she has my hands..........
Me and her Dad are totally smitten.
Tired, yes, extremely but smitten!
Normal posting will resume shortly and thank you all for your well wishes, baby products, presents, cards and gestures.
Love Ruby and her Ma!