Seeing a naturopath was really the turning point from that time my skin chucked a total mental. It started me on a healthier journey that really made me think what I was putting in and on my body and changes happened.
My skin healed, my hair became healthier, I lost weight , I had boundless energy and my immunity was strong.
Its seriously one of the best things I've ever done for my health.
My naturopath taught me how important gut health was for skin health and how intrinsically linked they are, that my body was completely out of balance and depleted after years on the contraceptive pill more reason I had brittle hair, spots and blepharitis and dermatitis fare ups.
She also begged and urged me to switch to mineral make-up to allow my skin to breathe and I vehemently resisted. Turns out I found another path to the benefits of mineral make-up in the end.
Anyway if you are feeling a bit meh, are not happy with your skin health or energy levels or have reoccurring inflammation, skin woes or health issues, visiting a naturopath could be that turning pint for you too.
Will Shannon, one of Australia’s leading practitioners of natural medicine and President of Australian Complementary Medicine Association, has shared with us his top 5 tips for better skin!
1. Water! Water! Water! Drinking filtered water often (Will recommends up to 2 litres a day) cleanses your skin and keeps it hydrated; making it look and feel fresh.
Me my best & I suggestion: try a hot lemon and water in the morning or one of these lemon zester water bottles or any of these 10 ways to spruce up your H20
2. A high fibre diet - Lessons symptoms of bad skin and aid the body in naturally correcting itself.
Me my best & I suggestion: Look no further than oats like in this recipe or this one or make some chia water and tick boxes 1 & 2 at the same time!
3. Eliminate refined sugar - which Will Shannon says is highly acidic and creates inflammation and dehydrates the skin.
Me my best & I suggestion: Some ways to eat less sugar in your diet are here
4. Correcting your hormone imbalance - This is always key to great skin. Reproductive hormones, especially during adolescence, often have dramatic effects on the skin. Will recommends taking herb supplements like Chaste Tree to offset these imbalances and set your skin straight.
Me my best & I suggestion: Some of these teas or supplements can also help
5. A balanced digestive system. Emptying your bladder and bowel regularly has a huge impact on skin. If you are not eliminating waste often, the matter sits in the gut (which is where we absorb most of our nutrients) and the remaining toxins can have a dramatic effect on skin.
Me my best & I suggestion: I find celery, cucumber and green and detox teas really help with this process
Some really great tips from Will that combined with a healthier diet can help ease the symptoms of acne and other skin imbalances, I know they 100% did for me and I've never been more grateful. Angry, imbalanced, reactive skin is just so upsetting!
For further information or specific herbal formulas to lesson symptoms, you can make an appointment with Will Shannon at Pinnacle Health Clinic
Have you ever visited a Naturopath regarding your skin health?